Monday, August 26, 2024

2024 Hightlights

 Catching up on 2024:

It's been a year of changes beginning at the close of 2023!  Our first grand-missionary Elder Corbin departed for the New Jersey Haitian mission in October and Sister Sammie left August 2024 for the California Arcadia Mandarin speaking mission.  Jim and I are pretty proud grand parents that our children have stayed true to the Gospel and now their children have the opportunity not only to share the Gospel but share it with people from different countries and learn new languages.

Halloween and Thanksgiving went as usual but for Christmas gifts I did something new, gifting all of my grandchildren an outing with Honey.  We went in age groups to Christmas shows and took our three little girls to the Grand America Tea Party.  It was so fun, a new great tradition of gift gifting and sharing.

I turned 74 in March (YIKES), Easter came and went and it was Summer.  I think this was one of the best summers with our family at Bear Lake.  It seems everyone wanted to be there more than usual, the weather was wonderful and everyone needed an escape from the heat of the valley!  In June my siblings talked me in to a wonderful trip to Italy, Croatia and the Italian Alps (Dolomites) on a Windstar sailboat cruise.  Considering my situation with Reid I was reluctant to go but was not disappointed.  It was fifteen precious days where I didn't worry about Reid or ANYTHING!  The entire trip couldn't have been more ideal.  I followed the directions of my siblings and just coasted along with each day like a little puppy on a leash.  I have learned that it's really great not be have to be 'in charge' and just enjoy the ride.  

Summer was also my 'break' time and Reid was willing to let me go to the lake often for two or three days at a time.  It was a lifesaver.  I have loved getting to know the residents at the Ashford but when I'm not with Reid, I want to be with my family and share in this precious time while my grandchildren are growing up.  Though I'm sure I complain about my life situation too much, still I hope I can be a positive influence in their lives.  They are such a joy to be around and especially dear as they are a necessary physical link to Jim. I hope I can stay 'fun' so they will want me around.

Reid in Review:

At Christmas Reid's children all were in town.  At his daughter Nabby's home, they each came with a personal  love letter to their dad that they read aloud to him.  Many of us were afraid he may not live another year but as of this date he is still hanging on but, as the disease goes, is up and down every day.  

In April we admitted him into Ashford assisted living in Draper.  He has adjusted quite well, probably because I am will him daily unless out of town.  It's hard on both of us watching him loosing memory and motor skills and ability to communicate.  He is very confused most of the time lately so it's also very hard on me as his caregiver.  I have at times been so agitated that I am still at this after taking care of Reid for 5 of our 6 years of marriage.  Luckily he is about as nice a man to take care of as one could have.  Still, it is wearing on my 74 year old body. His voice is very soft and I am constantly repeating what I and others say to him.  My heart is heavy for him and for me knowing these care giving years might go on for a time.  It's selfish and yet I keep being told it's normal to feel this way and as my Marianne said, we seem to be born with large 'guilt' bones in our bodies.  I am trying to distance myself for a bit during each week and hope he will adjust.  His children are once a week visitors for a couple of hours.  I wish they could give him more of their time, even a call daily but I've adjusted to their schedules.  His friends from the national guard seem to be thoughtful and his siblings visit when they can.  Ann, his niece, is always there to help when asked.  I am grateful for all the help and always count my blessings, as they are many.  I am truly very grateful for my blessed life.



No comments: