Wednesday, April 24, 2013

'My' Jim
May 18th 1950 - April 8th 2013

To say that Jim Rich was 'mine' is such a privilege!  I knew from the first time I held his big strong hands that I could love a guy like this!  There was something extraordinary about his enthusiasm, engaging smile and unassuming nature. He was fun and real and TD&H (tall, dark and handsome)!  It wasn't a quick romance!  We had an on and off  relationship for nearly three years while Jim finished school and tested many 'waters' (girls to be exact)!  I suppose I needed the experiences that came to me too - one of them being nearly getting engaged!  One night while attending a preparation for marriage class with a 'would be fiance', I said to myself,  "all I need to do is run into that Jim Rich....that would really mess things up"!  The 'rest of the story' is that truly, just minutes later, I did run into Jim at a stop light while both of us were driving home along 2300 East in Salt Lake.  He was on his way home from a valley-wide young adult meeting and had turned around to go back to get his scriptures he'd left at the ward.  I was on my home from 'the class' at the University of Utah!  Was it fate?  I say NOT!

We did get married....finally, January 27th 1977!  I had seven bridesmaids, seven showers and seven layers on our beautiful wedding cake!  It was 'lucky' seven all around!  I ironed my garments for our honeymoon the night before going to the temple!  He admitted after the ceremony he still had to go home and pack...WHAT?  And so things would go!
Our adventure and joyful journey had begun!  We would add five wonderful children and (to date), thirteen adorable grandchildren, our joy beyond measure!
It was going to be a match made in heaven or, I should say ... BY heaven!

THE ABC'S of JIM
(just some of the neat 'stuff' that made up my Jim)
A - adventurous, affable, affectionate, a (slow mover/talker), awesome!
B- believer, blunt, baseball, bassoon, brave, biker, lover of 'bananas', buddy, BROTHER
C - cheerful, creative, cute & cuddly, constant, courteous, critical (to get it right), clean, courageous, COMPANION
D - devoted, debonair, dependable, (lover of) details, dance partner, DISCIPLE
E - engaging, enthusiastic, exact, ENGINEER
F - faithful, football, funny, FRIEND, FATHER
G - generous, great (kisser, dancer, physique, hands) good-looker, guileless, gentle, genuine
H - handsome, handy, humble, hands-on, happy HUSBAND
I - interested (in people and things), imaginative, inventive, (stickler for) instructions, (man of) integrity, irreplaceable 
J - joiner, just, joyful, Joanne-fan
K - kind, killer-smile
L - (great) laugh, lounger, listener, leader, lover
M - methodical, musical, melancholy, merry, MORMON, MISSIONARY
N - not (sarcastic or boastful), nice, naps, NEPHEW
O - other-oriented, original, (closet) organized
P - practical, pack-rat, procrastinator, people person, popular, patient, particular, priesthood leader, POPPY
Q - quiet, quizzical, quirky
R - 'ripped', romantic, relaxer, rare
S - sensitive, sympathetic, sincere, sentimental, scuba-diver, smiler, steady, strong, slow-mover, saw (virtuoso), smart, SON
T- tender, thoughtful, tentative, thorough, true, talented
U - unselfish, unhurried, unique, UNCLE
V - vivacious, very (important to all of us)
W - wrestler, warm and wonderful
X - X-traordinary, X-emplary
Y - young adult and youth leader, young at heart
Z - 'Z' (best)!

Jim was mine and thankfully I was his!  To know that we continue on in 'luminescence' beyond mortality is
something to be GLAD about, to HOLD onto, to LIVE (better) for,  to CHERISH!
What a JOURNEY we've had these past months!  How courageous, faithful and humble you were, my Jim!
I was honored to serve you!  You were truly a marvel; an example to your family and friends!
I cannot imagine my life without you!!!  But I 'will' envision you free of your battered body...and be grateful!
Stay close!  I will always need you, I will always love you, you will always be MY JIM!
  Thank you for showing me the way!
I'm forever yours!
See ya!



1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I miss him. So much.